Wednesday 4 July 2012

GENEALOGY

Hey I nearly put in archeaology instead of genealogy, I suppose it is the same with the exception that we do not dig up old bones.  We just try and find out about them, how did they look, how did they live, were they good or were they bad.  I am willing to bet that we all have skeletons in our cupboards, I know I have. 

If we think about it all had to be equal in the beginning, the beginning being many many moons ago wow, it just goes back and back and back.  No grandeur, no wealth, no titles.

I once compiled a tree which took in all the royalty, it went right back to Adam and Eve, well this was according to the Latterday Saints.  Man was named by his appearance, ie Redhead, Big Nose some quite uncomplimentary names, until the surname was brought in.  Then surnames were compiled by where one lived, by their profession thus we have many of one name as in SMITH and others dotted all over the place.

The LDS are an organisation with religious views, they have taken it upon themselves to catalogue all records, thus they are a valuable asset to all researchers.  There are many other sites but most charge.

I began my research after I received a book with addresses of many who went under the same name as my maiden name.  I wrote to each one and oh boy was I  pleased.  My first breakthrough came when one chappie rang most excited as he had been looking for his grandfather's twin brother for a long time.  We proved that my ggrandfather was the person he had been looking for.

The next breakthrough came when I had a reply from a person in America, through his help I got in touch with one of his relations in England.  This person sent me a photograph of her grandfather, the excitement when I realised that I had a picture of this same gentleman on my wall.  He was in a photograph of the wedding of my grandfather's sister.  He turned out to be another brother of the twins.

So many stories to tell but all I can say it is a worthwhile hobby, I have found that I have made many friends, each helping and in turn I have been able to help others.  It is all a matter of swings and roundabouts.


No comments:

Post a Comment